Tuesday 27 November 2012


And Four Other Things...


0101 SK-backpagex.jpg - 0101 SK-backpagex.jpg

Simon Kolawole Live!: Emailsimon.kolawole@thisdaylive.com


And Four Other Things...

Cheerful Givers
My faith in this country was strengthened by the response to my last week’s article on the flooding disaster that ravaged 20 states. Nigerians are not bad people! Many have expressed their willingness to give, the only problem being how to get the materials across to the victims and avoid all the government “bureaucrats” (read: thieves) and many marauding NGOs.
 It’s a dilemma, I admit. I learnt MTN had donated materials directly to the victims – mattresses, stoves, pots, food, disinfectants, etc – despite the logistic nightmare. It’s so sad that so many people want to give but are afraid of the system.
Bye Bye-Courtney
It’s good news that the Federal Government has finally terminated the PPP agreement with Bi-Courtney for the Lagos-Ibadan expressway. Bi-Courtney’s inability to commence major works for several years has been a source of concern to Nigerians. I had celebrated the “imminent” commencement of work when Bi-Courtney took its South African partners to President Goodluck Jonathan last year. But nothing has changed. I don’t know why Bi-Courtney failed, but the heart-warming news is that we are about to put the nightmare behind us. A modern motorway is all that matters to road users now.
Mubarak is Back!
When Egyptians poured into Tahrir Square last year to unseat dictator, President Hosni Mubarak, in the so-called Arab Spring, I was not that excited. In the Bible, when Israelites asked Prophet Samuel to appoint a king “so that we can be like other nations”, he asked them: “Do you know the implications?” As things stand, Mubarak’s successor, Mohammed Mursi, may turn out to be a worse dictator. He has just passed an omnibus decree that empowers him “to take any measures he sees fit in order to preserve the revolution”. Meanwhile, disillusioned Egyptians are back to Tahrir Square. And, goodness me, they have been duly tear-gassed…
Chevening Calling
I’ve been inundated with inquiries about the 2013/2014 British Chevening scholarship ever since I gave a talk to the 2012/2013 scholars at the British High Commission, Abuja, earlier this year. Well, I think I can have some peace now! Applications are finally open at www.chevening.org. The scholarships are usually awarded to “outstanding scholars” with “leadership potential”.  I am encouraged anytime I see the number of Nigerians willing to further their education abroad. My wish is that one day, the good ones will return to be part of the process of freeing Nigeria from underdevelopment.

No comments:

Post a Comment