Monday 31 December 2012

INTERVIEW: AY’S COMEDY SHOW GAVE ME BREAKTHROUGH-ELENU

ELENU-2912.jpg - ELENU-2912.jpg
ELENU

AKINLAMI BABATUNDE JULIUS A.K.A. ELENU IS A FAST RISING COMIC ACT. RECENTLY, HE WON THE BEST COMEDIAN OF THE YEAR IN THE RECENTLY CONCLUDED MODE MEN AWARDS. HE ALSO WON
THE SAME CATEGORY AT THE DYNAMIX AWARDS. ELENU SHARED THE STORY OF HIS PHENOMENAL RISE WITH LANRE ODUKOYA
How did it all begin professionally?
I started comedy professional in 2006 after winning the AY’s Open Mic Night Comedy competition
Would you sincerely say that you’ve fared well so far?
It’s been a dream come through because I never knew comedy will put me where I am today and I give glory to God almighty for that.

What inspires your creativity?
My friends, environment and the society at large
What has been the greatest hurdle in your line of career?
Making sure people laugh any time you are on stage because it’s not easy to make people laugh.
What do you hope to do with comedy beyond paying bills?
Torch lives positively and encourage young ones to believe in their Gods-giving talent.
How often do you create fresh joke?
Anytime something new comes up in all areas of our daily lives.
How does it feel to cart home two laurels in barely two weeks?
I must say at this point that God has been faithful and he crowned it for me with the Mode Men Comedian of the Year 2012 award and same with the latest one, the Dynamix Award.
What other things do you do on the side when there are no shows?
Well I have just registered my company De Premium Entertainment Limited which is an event management company but on the side. I also consult for events.
How have your parents reacted to your choice of earning a living with comedy?
They have been very supportive and have always backed me up in every positive thing I do.
What’s your assessment of the industry in 2012?
Honestly, the comedy industry is growing faster than I thought and if you ask any comedian they will tell you that in 2012 the level of acceptability stepped up.
If you were not a comedian, what would you have been doing?
I would have been an IT personal because I studied computer science in the university.
Which of your outings was your breakthrough?
It was the one I had during A.Y. LIVE Concert, 2007.
Aside putting food on your table, what else do you hope to do with comedy?
To start my event company fully, get married and hopefully do my first comedy show by Gods grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment