Monday 17 December 2012

Obasanjo: I Won’t Keep Quiet on National Issues


130512F4.Olusegun-Obasanjo.jpg - 130512F4.Olusegun-Obasanjo.jpg
Chief Olusegun  Obasanjo

Former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Saturday said that the country  was on his mind, saying his passion, patriotism and love for the country, would not allow him to keep quiet  on burning national issues.
Obasanjo who spoke in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, when the national chairman of the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Bamanga Tukur , visited his Hilltop country home , disclosed that the country, the party and government would remain his primary concern.

Obasanjo said “ if there is no Nigeria, there will not be a party, and if there is no party, there will be nothing to govern on the platform of the party.”
He maintained that “If there is anything that requires my own comment, position or views,  I will say it. It is only when you kill me that I won’t talk. It is my passion, patriotism and love that will continue to make me express my own views. If I see something that is inimical to the growth of the party , I will talk.”
The former president, however, described the PDP national chairman as a respected leader, who is a delight to have always. According to him, “it is always a delight to have our Ogas (Boss) to visit us to see what we are doing or what we are not doing.
“To know our anxiety, aspirations and concerns. And also to disabuse the minds of the rumour mongers. The President is my President. .Without Nigeria there will be no party. Those who want me and the chairman to quarrel; this visit will keep them quite. But my mouth will not be quiet..”
Obasanjo dispelled his death rumour, wondering why people would continue to spread such rumour, remarking, “Am still alive anyway.”
However, the National Chairman disclosed that he was in Abeokuta, to appreciate and thank the former PDP Board of Trustees chairman for his persistent and consistent role not only for the party, “but, for the country and the international communities.,” adding “ Your support has never been relenting and I have come to say thank you sir.”
Tukur however affirmed the leadership of the Dipo Odujirin-led executive in the state, declaring that the party  recognises only the elected executives. He added “whoever that the people have elected as far as I am concerned, is the chairman of our party in Ogun”.

-culled from THISDAY

No comments:

Post a Comment