Wednesday 26 June 2013

EXCLUSIVE: Police Arrest Man for Allegedly Kidnapping, Raping UNILAG Student

The suspect
Two months after 22-year-old Babajide Bashorun, allegedly kidnapped, raped and then took naked pictures of his victim, an undergraduate of University of Lagos (UNILAG), which he later posted on the internet, he was arrested by the Adeniji Adele Division of the Lagos State Police Command.

This is just as the police also mounted a manhunt for the two accomplices, both undergraduates of UNILAG; 400-level students of Architecture, Aje Mayowa and  Babajide Ademuyiwa.

The suspects has since been charged to Tinubu Court 5, Lagos lsland and he was charged on six counts including kidnapping, rape, conspiracy, and attempt to commit murder, indecent assault, and assault occasioning harm.


He pleaded not guilty to the charge and was granted bail with three Sureties, the sum of N250,000.00 each, with three years tax clearance. The case was adjoined to July 10, 2013.

It was gathered that Bashorun, a dog breeder, allegedly carried out his bestial act because the victim had refused to acquiesce to his demand for an intimidate relationship.

After the rape, the suspect allegedly took snapshots of the victim and uploaded it on the Internet with her name and other details which was later brought to her knowledge when relatives overseas saw the picture in June.

The said relative was said to have called the victim's parents who in turn questioned their daughter till she narrated her ordeal in the hands of the suspect. The parents immediately rushed down to Adeniji Adele Police Station, to report the crime.

On how she was kidnapped and subsequently raped, she said, "Jide came to our house to treat our dog and asked for my phone details, which I gave him because of his approach. We became friends first before he said he wanted to date me.

"I refused because I already had somebody I was dating whom I love.  But Jide insisted that he wanted to marry me  and I was forced to delete him from my BB and phone. When I was returning home for the weekend one day, a car blocked me at Idumota bus stop. 

"When I saw that it was Jide, I made to walk away but he grabbed me and I acquiesced when I saw the gun he was wielding. He dragged me into the car, took me to his house and started beating me and tore my clothes. 

"He raped me and gave me to his friend who was in the car with him to have his way with me too. He ordered me to unlock my phone and when he saw that my password is my boy friend’s name, he beat me up again."

She added, "His friends threatened to kill me after they disclosed that they were cultists. He later hit me on the head with a bottle when he wanted to take my picture and I refused. But he succeeded in taking different snap shots of me which I begged him to delete."

On how she escaped, she said Jide had gone to buy drugs for her when she fled on discovering that the door of the apartment was left unlocked.

She said, "The first person I saw when I got home was my elder brother and I told him that I had an accident. Even when my mother asked, I told her I fought with a fellow female student. 

“When Jide discovered I had escaped, he called and threatened me. He said that if I tell anybody, he would kill me. I didn’t want anything to happen to any member of my family, thus I didn’t tell my family."

Corroborating, the victim's mother said they have been receiving threatening calls from Jide when he discovered that they were in the know  of his bestial act on their daughter.

In his confessional statement,  Bashorun, admitted he took the pictures but sent it to Mayowa, who in turn sent it to Ademuyiwa before it made its way to the Internet. He however stressed that he did not ask anyone to distribute the pictures on the internet, rather for their own private consumption.

But he maintained that he did not rape her as they were in a relationship. He however admitted that they fought as couples in relationships usually do.

He said,  “She is my girlfriend and we fought in April but we had since settled. The crux of the quarrel was because she asked me for money to buy an IPad, which was pegged at about N100,000.

“I tried to raise the money for the IPad but was only able to get N70, 000. When she came to collect the money I advised her to curtail her love for material things as well as  clubbing and prostituting.

" We fought and I used the mop to hit her on her back. I now took her pictures and sent it to my friend, but I didn’t tell him to distribute the pictures on internet.”




No comments:

Post a Comment